One of the most important organs in the body is kidneys. It helps to detoxify the body and filter the impurities from blood pulling out the waste products. It also regulates fluid balance. Kidneys help to extract unnecessary nutrients, toxins and excess water from the body. Sometimes, this function of kidney gets disturbed due to the formation of kidney stones. Following sections were cover more details on what are kidney stones, kidney stones causes, symptoms, testing process and natural home remedies to cure kidney stones naturally.
What are kidney stones?
Kidney stones are hard deposits that are made of salts and minerals. Stones form when the urine becomes concentrated and allows minerals to crystallize and stick together. In most of the cases one can cure kidney stone naturally without any medications, but if the stones are lodged in the urinary tract or associated with a urinary tract infection it can cause complications.
At a severer stage, a surgery may be required. However, if you understand the kidney stone symptoms or the doctor helps you diagnose it early, you can get kidney stones cured naturally. In most of the cases, a doctor prescribes medicines for the cure of kidney stones and one can also make use of quick home remedies to get relief.
Causes and symptoms of kidney stones:
When the kidneys are not able to process or excrete minerals, waste, toxins, etc. it results in the formation of kidney stones. If kidney stones are large they may cause tearing and pain. The urine flow also gets blocked due to this.
Those experiencing severe abdominal pain due to kidney stones which radiates to their lower back may even notice blood in urine. There will be no symptoms until kidney stone moves around within the kidney or passes into a tube called ureter which connects the kidney and bladder. At such a stage, you may experience the following symptoms:
- Pain while urinating
- The foul smell of urine
- Persistent need to urinate
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pink, red or brown urine
- Fluctuating pain that may travel from a side and back to lower abdomen
The kidney stone causes are:
- Heredity factors.
- Poor diet and medications. Those who take excess calcium-containing antacids are more likely to develop kidney stones.
- Underlying illnesses like, cystic fibrosis, renal tubular acidosis, and inflammatory bowel disease can cause kidney stones.
There is no way to test for kidney stones at home and hence you would need to see a doctor. The doctor will perform blood and urine tests. Sometimes imaging tests are performed to diagnose kidney stones in the urinary tract.
Those who do not want to rely on medication or getting no result even after taking proper kidney stone medicines can opt for kidney stones natural remedy which will help to dissolve the kidney stones naturally and quickly. So following are ten ways to get rid of kidney stones naturally.
1. Stay hydrated: Staying hydrated is very important to remove kidney stones. You ask doctor or specialist on how to pass a kidney stone naturally you will get one common answer, “Drink a lot of water”. You can flavor your water and drink throughout the tea. You can sip green tea, black tea, etc. to stay hydrated and enjoy the different benefits of teas as well. Adding lemon juice to water is beneficial as it prevents calcium stones from forming. You need to make sure you are hydrated. If your urine is clear then you are hydrated and if it is yellow or dark brown then you are not drinking enough water.
2. Olive oil and lemon juice: Mix five ounces of lemon juice and five ounces of extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is the best as it is thick in texture and very healthy. You must drink this mixture as soon as you get up followed by a glass of water. It may taste sour, but then it will help to remove kidney stones. Continue this treatment for several days and kidney stone will pass in the urine. Lemon juice helps to break the stone and olive oil helps in lubrication so the stone can pass easily.
Warning: Lemon is very acidic and it can destroy tooth enamel. It also contributes to ulcers and heartburn. So drink a lot of water throughout the day and if your teeth are sensitive try your teeth to come in less contact with the lemon. Rinse your mouth with fresh water after taking this solution.
3. Pomegranate juice: Pomegranates offer many health benefits and its juice and seeds are a natural remedy for kidney stones. They have astringent properties and to get rid of kidney stones you can either eat organic pomegranates or drink their freshly squeezed juice.
4. Celery: Celery in vegetable form and celery seeds are helpful for removing kidney stones as they are great kidney tonic and urine promoters. You can take celery seed as a spice or tea to get effective results.
5. Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is made of citric acid which is ideal for dissolving the kidney stones and it helps the body to pass stones easily. It promotes the production of hydrochloric acid in the body which prevents kidney stone formation. In 6 to 8 ounces of water mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and drink it before meals. You must drink ample of water throughout the day to get rid of kidney stones. If this remedy is helpful, keep drinking the apple cider vinegar for at least a week. This will avoid the further formation of stones.
Warning: Apple cider vinegar is acidic and one must not take it with diabetes and high blood pressure medicines.
6. Diet changes: Eating unhealthy food contributes to the formation of kidney stones. You need to make certain changes to your diet if you want to get rid of kidney stones. Eat more calcium-rich foods like low-fat milk and cheese because low calcium diets increase the kidney stone risk. Avoid vitamin C supplements but have more calcium-rich foods because calcium oxalate stone is not the cause of eating calcium-rich foods. Avoid animal protein like beef, pork, poultry, and fish. These are high in urine acid. High urine acid causes uric acid. Oxalate-rich food should be avoided like coffee, beets, peanuts, sweet potato, soy products, chocolate, and spinach. Many are not aware of this, but sweet Potato for kidney stones can be very bad. You should eat less iodine. Canned soups and vegetables are rich in iodine and you must avoid it.
7. Horsetail: Horsetail juice helps to increase the urine flow and it is rich in antibacterial and antioxidant properties. It can soothe inflammation. If you taking lithium then you must use horsetail else it may cause seizures, loss of potassium and low vitamin B levels in the body. It is not good for children and pregnant or breastfeeding women. If you have alcoholism problems or diabetes then you should not drink this. It also has nicotine so you must drink it off you trying to quit smoking. Do not drink the juice every day.
8. Dandelion root: Organic dandelion root cleans the kidneys and supports the kidney to function normally. Organic dandelion has vitamin A, B, C and D. It is rich in potassium, iron, and zinc. This root has a therapeutic use in history and it is known for its healthful properties. It helps to improve energy levels and health. Taking dandelion tea or tablets is very good for kidney stone removal.
9. Basil/tulsi tea: Basil tea supports the kidney and it can be taken throughout the day for proper mineral, uric acid and fluid balance in the body. Basil has acetic acid which breaks the kidney stones and reduces pain. Take fresh and dried basil leaves to make tea or juice as per your taste. You can add basil leaves to a smoothie for better taste.
Warning: Extended use may increase bleeding, lower blood pressure and sugar. So, take care of the use.
10. Wheatgrass juice: Wheatgrass is full of nutrients and drinking the wheatgrass juice is helpful to increase the urine flow. The good nutrient also cleans the kidneys. Drink 2 to 8 ounces per day and to avoid side effects take in small quantity. If you take the juice on empty stomach it will prevent the risk of nausea.
Warning: In certain cases, it can cause constipation and appetite loss.
The results of these remedies may vary from person to person. These are some of the natural kidney stones treatment which can help to cure the disease naturally. If the symptoms still continue even after applying some of these remedies, then consult a doctor.